11.11.2008

AYSK #4

So this has gone from a "weekly" into a "whenever-I-have-time-and-want-to-avoid-work-and-or-feel-like-it." Hope that's alright with all of you... (all 4-5 of you.)

Without further ado...

AYSK #4:

YOUNG-HAE CHANG HEAVY INDUSTRIES

Mini-Bio:
Your guess is as good as mine. (You'll see why I say this when you see the website/artwork). But Wikipedia says: Young-Hae Chang Heavy Industries (장영혜중공업) is a Seoul-based Web art group consisting of Marc Voge (USA) and Young-Hae Chang (Korea).

What kind of art?
Online, or Net, Art. Video (if you can call it that).

Examples of work: (And for AYSK #4, this will take some work on your part since all of their work is located at various websites, that operate off of their main one.)

My favorites that I've looked at so far are as follows:

Dakota

All Fall Down


Victoria's Fire (Lovely reference to the classic Doors song, for those that are into that)

So, So Soulful


Online/Net/Web art is a very new field--mostly because the interweb is so dang new. The work of Young-Hae Chang Heavy Industries has gotten a lot of recognition for its simplistic methods (Macromedia Flash) and for its unique blend of word/language, sound, color, and timing. Their work has been exhibited in galleries and museums as well as on the Net--which I unfortunately have not witnessed firsthand. I hear it is an amazing experience that highlights their use of all the techniques/elements mentioned above. I have decided to share them and give them the AYSK title because I feel like Net Art is an overlooked or unknown medium that produces some truly interesting and stimulating (emotionally, visually, intellectually, etc.) work that is quite poignant in this age of technology.

Let me know if you discover any other Young-Hae Chang Heavy Industries work on their website that you feel is of note or just plain fun. Sadly, I have not had the time to view them all and part of me is afraid I will develop epilepsy with too many viewings. So, with that, happy/safe viewing to you all and to all a goodnight!

No comments: