12.03.2008

Neglectful Parent

Yet again, it has been too long between posts. Hopefully, after this semester is over I will be able to dedicate more time to this blog, art-making of my own, and general enjoyment-having. Until then, all of my time and brainpower is reserved for papers and presentations on Performance Art and Janine Antoni, Hans Sedlmayr's Theories on Art, and Baudelaire's Theories on the Constructive Imagination. If that doesn't spell G-O-O-D-T-I-M-E-S I just don't know what does!

To make up for the fact that I am many AYSK's behind, I am going to provide links to blogs/websites of some of my male friends that make art and generally rock. (Don't worry...female edition to follow!) They are out there, living in the world, and making damn sure they do what they love--and for that, I have to give them credit and praise. So here goes...a slight deviation from the usual formula...but the Artists (and People) You Should Know:


1. Mark Jay Brewin Jr. Yes, my fiance, BUT also, an incredible artist. Although he is currently getting his MFA in Creative Writing--poetry, specifically--he is very talented in many other art forms and mediums. His work focuses on found objects, memory, constructing narrative, and nostalgia. If you only have time for one work, I suggest the Woodrow Jefferson Project.

2. Andrew Spears. When I first met Mr. Spears he had a fro and orange sneakers. Now, he has a beard and dinosaur-footsie pajamas. A phenomenal artist that is constantly thinking about his next project even when serving up brews and booze in Greensboro, NC. He does not restrict himself to one medium and has created exceptional photographic, digital, and installation work. My favorite work of Spears is an installation entitled "Reaction."

3. M. Spencer Johnson. When one thinks of contemporary art--what's hip and new--one rarely thinks of ceramics/sculpture. However, this bike-enthusiast works primarily in the medium of ceramics and does a fantastic job of creating different, interesting, and beautiful pieces. He challenges those nincumpoops (that's right, I said it...nincumpoops!) that say ceramics is strictly functional and out-dated by incorporating unique elements into the materials he uses. His "Ashes to Ashes" series is a great example of this.

4. Andrew Jonathan Giles. I had the pleasure of working with Andrew at camp this past summer and he is wonderful photographer, teacher, painter, artist, and human being. Originally from Texas, he now lives and creates in Denver, CO. He has a great website of his work, and although I knew him first and foremost as a photographer--he is also a talented poet and painter. Also, did I mention he has great taste in hip-hop?


Well, here are just some of my amazingly talented friends and I hope you enjoy some or all of their work as much as I do!

So now that I have 4 male friends promoted, 4 females are up next. Feel free to bribe me if you are an artist (with a vagina) and want to be mentioned on this blog that no one reads. Haha. I actually really liked doing this so maybe this will become a weekly separate from the AYSK series. Like "NYSK"--"Nobodies You Should Know"--and once they become famous (which they will because I wrote about them) they can join the ranks of "AYSK." Or maybe I'll just call it "Friends You Should Know" --nah...NYSK is much catchier. A new weekly is born!

Let me know what you think of their work and this new idea and how it can be improved. Also, if you have any friends you think I should mention, feel free to pass their info along!

Yay Art! (Now, back to work.)

3 comments:

BlueBetty said...

I want to bribe you, but I'm not sure with what. Hope all is well and maybe you will be crazy enough to come back to the farm.

Oregoncornhusker said...

BlueBetty, my guess is that by simply commenting you have successfully bribed.

danakaradga said...

Situated on a pristine island, the hotel offers a retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city. This tranquil retreat has a serene atmosphere that instantly transports you to a world of relaxation and rejuvenation. As soon as you arrive here, you'll immediately feel like you've escaped the ordinary and experience the best shelter island restaurants.