11.05.2008

Update on the Research

Tuesday I spent the afternoon at the New-York Historical Society. The hyphen is their addition--not mine. Weird huh?

Unfortunately, I did not uncover any more misogynistic coffee advertisements. I did, however, discover that coffee companies frequently link themselves to being "American" in order to relate to their consumers. I found many advertisements that included images of "American scenes" and images/copy that linked certain types of coffee to the different/all states and the American way of life. I think it's fascinating that when trying to market a product where there really are minute differences (I'm sorry, but doesn't all coffee taste the same? At least the kind you can buy at the grocery store...) the companies have to relate to their customers in another way--Can't advertise to their taste buds or palettes so why not their pride for their country? There was also a tendency to offer beautiful pictures and collectible cards as an incentive to purchase one type of coffee over another. Buy Maxwell House? Well on top of getting a pound of coffee---you get a lovely, frameable, collectible print by a famous painter! Everyone loves a little extra--especially when it's "free."

When I get back to Long Island (currently in NC) I will post pictures of these said advertisements. All of the images I took with a digital camera (without a flash...so looooow quality). They are part of the Landauer collection. Interesting tidbit about the Landauer collection: Every piece within it and there are THOUSANDS was all collected by one woman who just loved her ephemera. Talk about a pack rat! Her gain is my gain!

Let me know what you think about the images (when I post them) and/or my new research topic!

**NOTE: There was also an absurd amount of advertisements with images of kids and kittens. Like ABSURD amount. Any thoughts on why? Because I'm at a loss!


EXPECT PICS TOMORROW NIGHT!!!

1 comment:

Darth Rachel said...

coffee addicted kittens! do that.. DO THAT.