11.11.2008

The Pictures...Late, But as Promised

Below are the images I promised from my trip to the New-York Historical Society. Again, they are very poor quality, but thankfully I was able to make photocopies--which I have yet to scan. The first two images highlight the kiddie/kitty phenomenon I mentioned in my previous post. It doesn't really have anything to do with my paper's thesis, and I don't see how I could ever make sense of it, but it's funny and interesting nonetheless.

The two images below those are just some examples of the coffee companies advertising to the patriotism and "American-ness" of their consumers. By creating state trading cards, with imagery that is representational of the state it's depicting, coffee companies (especially Ariosa, of Arbuckle Bros. coffee--which is the company that made these trading cards) played off the American nationalism, but also the state pride of its customer.

And coffee companies never forgot to cater to those who related more to their religion than their nationality--which is demonstrated by the Hagadah, Passover Seder Service booklet, compliments of Maxwell House Coffee.

And finally, Maxwell House's "American Series," which perhaps demonstrates best the patriotic/American advertising strategy.

Hope you find these as fascinating as I do! I'll keep you posted on any more research discoveries or new theories (especially about the kiddies/kitties).



Coffee advertisement doubling as a mock newspaper and pretty picture of young girl with kitten?


Kitties--On the reverse side is an advertisement for coffee...obviously. When I think coffee, I think kittens.


In Florida, there are oranges, but there is also Arbuckle Bros. Ariosa brand coffee!


North Carolina--poor quality image, but another example of the state trading card.


Not necessarily in line with my theories on patriotism/Americanism, but still an interesting advertising tactic to reach a specific demographic. Not only did coffee companies want to give you free pretty pictures, they also wanted to sponsor your religious booklets! Go figure!


The slogan for Maxwell House's "American Series" campaign: "...and it's Maxwell House wherever you go."


Maxwell House is in Times Square!

Maxwell House is also in your small town, that waves its American flag and plants trees!

And don't forget! Maxwell House is with you during all seasons, even in more rural areas!

**Note: The last 2 images did not have the Maxwell House slogan "and it's Maxwell House wherever you go." However, the last two would be sent to customers who purchased Maxwell House as a sort of present for purchasing the "right" coffee and, since they were part of a series, there was an incentive to collect all the pretty pictures (by well-known artists)--thus, creating an incentive to purchase Maxwell House.



And who could live without their American songbook?! Compliments of Chase & Sanborn coffee (the coffee company that also created the spanking ad). One second you're promoting nationalistic pride, and the next--domestic violence. Or do they go hand in hand in America? I kid, I kid.


Well, that's all for tonight kiddies (or kitties, whichever you prefer)! Off to work on my presentation for tomorrow on the role of man and woman in Post-WWII society and how they were, in turn, depicted in popular culture and advertising. Goodnight!

No comments: