1.14.2009

NYSK: Women

It's been far too long since I updated. The holidays getcha every time! Oh, and my pesky 19th century art paper! But, now all those things are done and I am free to blog and do other things that usually escape my attention when there is holiday food to be eaten and obnoxious papers to finish.

So, as promised, here is my list of females that I personally know and like (both personality-wise and artistically) who you should know. And the Nobodies (again, I use this term strictly as a joke and contrast to the AYSK series--they are all Somebodies) are...

1. Kristina Sherk. I had the pleasure of attending Elon University with Kristi. We first met while working on a project called Periclean Scholars, so her artistic talents were unbeknownst to me for quite a while. BUT, after seeing her work, I can say she's got the goods. She has been out of college less than 2 years and has already taken the professional photography world by storm! Based in DC, Kristi makes a living taking headshots and shooting weddings and corporate events, but it is her editorial/artistic work that I find particularly stunning. Her website is filled with wonderful images, and I recommend checking all of it out--especially the travel photograph section! Oh, and don't forget to check out her amazing retouching skills here.

2. Meredith Robinson. Now, I don't know Meredith very well. I actually knew her work before I knew her. A number of times she has had her work displayed in the Elon Art Building and, being very fond of my Alma Mater (the art building in particular), I had perused her work while wandering the halls. After meeting her twice now--both times with varying levels of intoxication--I can say she is not only a talented artist but a pretty cool chick as well. My personal favorite is the painting entitled "Ophelia."

3. Casey Catelli. Another Elon student that I met far too late in the game. I had actually heard the name Casey Catelli through Mark, but never had the privilege of putting a face to that name until recently. I loved her work when I saw it displayed in the Elon gallery, but I did not know the amount of work she had until looking at her website and blog. Her photographs are brilliant and simple and if you sort her photos by "Most Favorites" you will see some truly tremendous images.

4. Amanda Jensen. Mixing it up a little...gotta give love to someone making something other than what those pesky intellectuals would call "Fine Art." I met Amanda at good ole Appel Farm (where there are many, many other talented artists) where she was the head of Technical Theater. Little did I know, that in her spare time she makes really great, crafty items. Scarves, reusable hot-drink-sleeves, hats, and my personal favorite--cowls, are all available for your viewing pleasure and purchase at her Etsy shop, which is easily accessible from her blog. Who said great art cannot be functional?


I have so many taleneted friends that I have to give shout-outs to Maria Mattson (painter/drawer), Antea Roberts (sculptor/ceramicist), Miranda Pare (bad-ass installation artist among other things I'm sure), Bogna Kowalska (unbelievable video artist and graphic designer), Molly Lare (too many artistic talents to name), Joanna Patterson (artist a la carte, as well) and all my other female artist friends, whose artworks are not as easily linkable. (Websites and blogs people, not Facebook albums and MySpace pages!)


And just to add something for your immediate viewing pleasure... "The Beckoning of Lovely" is an amazing video that my friend Rachel introduced our Methodologies class too during her presenation on viral/video/internet art. Please watch. It will make your day a million times better.





Well, that is all for now. Time for a grilled cheese and tomato soup to make this blustery cold day less blustery and less cold. Now is the part where I promise to post more often...