10.15.2008

When you've got coffee breath...

So my initial research topic for my American Visual Cultures class was on coffee advertising and tin design prior to the 1940s. BUT--since there is hardly any information/images on this topic, I decided to switch (quite sequentially) from coffee, which give you stinky breath, to advertising for a mouthwash, which improves bad breath!

I did not have this connection in mind when I decided on switching topics. I mostly wanted to cover Listerine advertisements because--as you can see below--they are AMAZING, and by AMAZING I mean they are full of ridiculous claims, spectacular photographs and overwhelming sexism.

I will keep you (blogosphere) posted on this research, but here are two Listerine advertisements to hold you over for now.



Listerine Advertisement, 1928


Listerine Advertisement, 1929


1 comment:

Oregoncornhusker said...

I love the first ad where it says, "It has halved the tooth paste bill of more than 2 million people."

So like, a buck fifty?

Fantastic.